Re: [LUG] BBC IPlayer - A U-Turn ?

Clare Shepherd wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2007, at 12:01, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Quoting Viv <viv.griffin@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> It seems that now we will be getting access to BBC IPLayer if we
>>> want it
>>> (by the end of the year) !
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7045123.stm
>>>
>>> Does this mean that the "minority" MAC and Linux users are now
>>> numerous
>>> enough that the big corporations are taking notice of us ?
>>>
>>> Viv
>>>
>> Nah, they're just doing a youtube, making the video available online
>> using Flash.  We still can't download the videos and watch at our
>> leisure, just stream them (and I presume not in as high quality as if
>> they did a download service).
>>
>> I personally think it's a bodge so they can go to the BBC Trust and
>> say that they've made it available to Linux and Mac users, technically
>> they have, but its still not offering the same thing as the iPlayer on
>> Windows.
>>
>> Rob

> What a swizz, the tricksy devils.
>
> Clare

Yep, technically it will work on Linux/Mac (and also supposedly on the
Nintendo Wii - something I'll have to give a try this weekend).  I
wouldn't be surprised if the folks dealing with the iPlayer report back
to the BBC Trust saying that they have made it Mac/Linux compatible (and
leave out the main details - it is streaming only, and not offering the
same features as the Windows version).

Rob