Re: [LUG] Vista and Internet Explorer

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Can anyone come up ideas as to why a user connecting from a
> university network
>
> -   Can use MSN (and video messaging) -   Can use putty (ssh) -
> Can't use internet explorer

I work on the resnet helpdesk at Bristol Uni, and we get a lot of
problems with IE on Vista (and XP as well sometimes) being totally brain
dead and not loading anything- no DNS problems, no proxy problems, no
connectivity or firewall issues, cleared the cache, latest updates-
still nothing. No-one on the helpdesk even bothers trying to get IE
working- if there are any problems that get traced to the state of even
"might be IE" then the user is told to go get a working browser and call
back.

Funny- every single call we have is either because Windows/IE is being
stupid or because they are having problems passing the security check
(usually Windows update being stupid). Why doesn't the uni just ban the
use of Windows? It would make life so much easier.