Re: [LUG] Annual Budgets: Freedom of Information Act

On Sunday 14 October 2007 11:10, james kilty wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 08:36 +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> > What really gets me is that people can actually con the people who spend
> > our money to re-engineer what will basically be parts of the internet at
> > greatly increased expense without any of the benefits of the internet.
> > Its a new law of massively diminishing returns!
>
> Do you have a reference which I could read which explains all this? Thanks.
You'd have to look at the original proposal for quotes etc that describes what
the various projects are supposed to be about. These are mostly verbose and
badly written - often in the way one would write a job description so only
your best mate could do it while you supposedly had an 'open to all
procedure'.
>>From what I here of project I make a few assumptions based on experience of
what would be required:

The project for the NHS backbone. So they need to connect all computers
together in the NHS - securely.
Solution being badly implemented: Lots of private comms circuits and routers
and management islands and proprietary lockins.
What is really required can be implemented using the internet and  TCP/IP
intranets. Open standards and massive competition on every aspect.
Its what the internet does for heavens sake - why re invent it - unless (from
a financial point of view) you can get a lockin!

The NHS global identity scheme £6 Billion on M$ infrastructure and it doesn't
work I here.
>>From what I can gather its basically what LDAP can do with its eyes shut..
So that can sit quite happily/securely on the Internet and the only cost is a
few (in the low hundreds) of servers and building the meta/directory data.
OK that last part can be expensive but £6Billion to work out a hierarchy?

What amazes me about the microsoft generation is there seems to be a complete
ignorance of how things like the internet/intranet and simple protocols go
together to make everything you need in computing.
There should be a basic Object Oriented Design qualification that should be
compulsory for all involved in PFI computer projects.

Tom te tom te tom