Re: [LUG] Annual Budgets: Freedom of Information Act

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 03:35:55PM +0100, james kilty wrote:

> > Sent to Devon county council (there is a link on their website to send
> > electronically). There seems to be links on most Council site
>
> I meant more personally - your local councillor, MP etc. And a fuller
> paper on the consequences of the current status quo as it blunders on.
> The web approach is a bit anonymous and too much like a black hole for
> me. If someone were to write a digest, or refer me to such already
> published, perhaps expanding on what you wrote, I am happy to lobby CCC
> members, especially given it is absorbing the Districts in a couple of
> years. However, a time of change is likely to be too demanding to adopt
> any other change - nevertleless, it is also an opportunity.

Being a bit cynical I am expecting that the response from the FoI request is going
to be along the following lines

- No, we have not reviewed
- No, we are not planning to review

I was not planning to contact the local district council until I had the DCC response

I think moving on from there, I agree with you we need to move forward and various
options open themselves

-   We could use the FoI in our local councils to demand public knowledge of numbers
of computers / numbers of licenses, and then use the data to prepare our own
"business case"

-   We could use the data to start our own "inform the councillors" campaign to
ensure that they are aware of the savings possible. If all members on the LUG
started writing / ringing their local councillors..

-   We could feed the data produced into the local MPs, press, opposition parties

When Bristol did their review in 2005 they estimated that switching over to
OpenOffice 1.x was £600,000. Vs £1.7m if they upgraded with MS. Now these figures
are going to change, but it shows that with management will significant savings are
possible.

--
Henry
Sun Oct 14 08:19:18 BST 2007