Re: [LUG] Uploading to a web site

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I use FireFTP to transfer files to my web site. Being new to all this I
> have become a little confused about the best way.
>
> I can choose between Automatic, Binary or ASCII mode. Sometimes I am
> told that certain files must be uploaded in the ASCII mode, sometimes
> it is Binary which is a must, sometimes it seems to be left to me.

Just leave it on Automatic.

FTP allows for 7-bit (text) and 8-bit (binary) transfers. Doing binary
files as text tends to break them quite badly and vice versa. FTP's an
old standard and a bit quirky.

Automatic modes tend to rely on a known list of file extensions to guess
and can become confused if you use a lot of weird filetypes or no
extensions, not sure about FireFTP though - it might be cleverer.

--
Simon Avery