[LUG] Uploading to a web site

I use FireFTP to transfer files to my web site. Being new to all this I
have become a little confused about the best way.

I can choose between Automatic, Binary or ASCII mode. Sometimes I am
told that certain files must be uploaded in the ASCII mode, sometimes
it is Binary which is a must, sometimes it seems to be left to me.

I have looked at the help files, but I am still not entirely confident.
Can anyone give me a quick run-down on the best way, please, or point
me at somewhere to find out more.

Many thanks

Neil Winchurst