Re: [LUG] DIY supercomputer

Paul Sutton wrote:
>>> I have the computers and am a bit worried about whether I have enough
>>> monitors or indeed enough network cards or power leads or network
>>> leads etc to join them together. I have been busting a gut in an
>>> attempt to get equipment together but I haven't got the knowledge to
>>> know what I will need.
>>>
> I can't help with monitors,  but should be able to collect together some
> network leads, power leads at least,  if other people do the same, then
> hopefully we will end up with too many which is better than not enough.
>
> In fact I rescued a plastic box from the skip at the school i work so I
> have just put a 5 cat 5 leads in there, along with a few power leads,
>
> Out of interest if we start with a small number of nodes, get that
> working then add to it,  I spoke to neil S on the chat channel and it
> seems a simple case of boot  from network,   however if we link 12
> computers,
>
> Does anyone have a network cable tester,  that may be useful just in
> case we need to determine if a length of cat 5 cable is bad.
>
> Paul

Will need..

1 x LAN cable for each node
1 x power lead per node
1 x NIC per node (with PXE boot ideally)
1 x network port per node

1 x system to be server
1 x monitor for server
1 x keyboard for server
1 x mouse for server
1 x LAN cable for server
1 x NIC for server
1 x CD or DVD drive for the server (boot from this initially)

4 x cans of coke per atendee
1 x bag of food per atendee

I will see if I can get my lan cable tester there.

I will not put money on being able to attend, but I will do my best..

I don't think that lack of internet access will be a major problem, just
requires a bit of pre-planning and software downloading in advance.

HTH

Neil