Re: [LUG] no bundling windows with pc's!!!

On 24/09/2007, Ben Goodger <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 24/09/2007, Terry Hill <telbonic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Will consumers be offered the choice of the m$ bundle of the day or just
> > walking out with a pc that doesn't have an operating system, and be
> > expected to go find one?
>
> That'd be good enough for me. I just don't want to be forced to buy Windows
> if I want a computer.
> Of course, I tend to just buy the individual components, but hey...

Same or similar for everyone on this list I'd imagine, however I'm
talking about the average people out there.  This kind of proposal has
far reaching consequence, and as such needs to be handled well if to
avoid m$ sidestepping the issue by finding a new way to legally
monopolise.  If m$ software is perceived by the public to be the easy
option, thats the option they will take, even if it means paying a
premium.

I guess the Linspire folks will be up for the challenge, as well as
the Ubuntu crowd.

Having said all of this, anything which drives home the issue of there
*being* a choice in the first place is a positive move.  I still amaze
people on a regular basis when they find out they don't have to buy m$
office for instance.