Re: [LUG] no bundling windows with pc's!!!

> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/09/24/globalisation_institute_windows_bundling/
> Tom te tom te tom

I'd love to see this, has the potential to see a massive rise in the
number of PC's running Linux, especially those not destined for gaming
(until the games industry catches up that is) - however, I can see m$
using its cash to make sure that companies like PC world push
consumers towards its products rather than the freebie offerings from
Linux.  I have worked in consumer sales before, sales people are
offered incentives by both their employers and manufacturers to sell
their stuff.  They are also trolled very effectively if they don't toe
the line - which is why sales staff always go on and on about
warranties (for instance) - they know if they don't sell enough,
they're getting a beating from management. A beating which is reviewed
at times on an hourly basis (note to all, don't ever get a job in
comet or curries - consumers hate you for selling them warranties,
management hate you for not selling warranties).

Anyway, back to unbundling - just how free would "in-store" Linux
remain?  Who pays for the disks?  What support will be on offer?  Will
consumers be offered the choice of the m$ bundle of the day or just
walking out with a pc that doesn't have an operating system, and be
expected to go find one?

Its a great and simple statement to say "stop bundling windows", but
as ever with any problem, it's more complicated.

I know for experience, and non-techies browsing out there in PCworld
will want a PC that "just works", and will pay to make sure thats the
case.  I think that any such unbundling needs to be handled correctly
from the off, including educating the masses as to what open source
means to them, and why it is worth going the extra mile to use it.