Re: [LUG] jpgs to flick album

Paul Sutton wrote:

> what I want now is to be able to take a set of files on their own in a
> single directory and produce a nice flick book,  must be dead simple (no
> flash) perhaps using php so it can be kept simple.

> has anyone got any suggestions please

apt-cache search web photo

Gives a fair few on Debian, I dare say other distros have similar.

To be honest if I had to do it (rather than say using an online services
that does it better already), I'd probably write my own.

PHP, Perl, whatever, since the input is a presumably trusted directory
of files, all you need do is get the directory, show the file of
interest, and list the next and previous.

Neil W's notes on PHP from way back cover enough to do that. Just
validate the URL well enough to disallow them requesting files from
elsewhere on disk, and all should be well.

Last time I had to do it, it was for a photography site, although they
had a very specific look and layout they wanted. We cheated and numbered
the photos 1 to N, but then my web chap had to crop and resize and such
each photo manually, so it didn't make any difference to his work load.

http://www.alanbassettphotography.com/

That is all powered by about 10 lines of PHP, and it has features not
being used (bloat?). Most of which is for ignoring input that doesn't
correspond with a genuine photo.

I dare say it could be more elegantly done (like preview loading
previews), and not reloading the page if Javascript is enabled....