Re: [LUG] resume of plans and to do's for Penzance meetings

On Wednesday 19 September 2007 14:13, James Kilty wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 10:33 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> > We could show visitors Mint, although I'm not sure about newbies using
> > Beta software.  There is always that risk that it could screw their PC
> > up.
>
> I must apologise but one of the team attending offered to show Mint. I
> have destroyed the email by a mad click. Gone from all possible folders
> including deleted items and junk! This reply is to him! Is this the
> distro in this month's Linux Format? It doesn't say it is a beta as far
> as I can see. There is also an Ark Linux 2007.1 which has an excellent
> review. "Ark Linux is strongly geared towards Linux novices." Is this
> worth showing - at least?

It was Viv who was suggesting Mint.  I would like to see it myself - it isn't
a distro I have come across.  Ark has been around a while and several of my
contacts have used it and found it very good. Again, I haven't used it
myself.

> In the end, it will be down to us to make clear that there are several
> options, and unless they have any special reason for choosing one over
> another, we should be able to recommend what is best for the beginner.
> We might also be willing to offer individual support with our choice for
> them because we run it and are familiar with it.
>
> What are members' thoughts on this one, nearer the day. I did wonder
> about Ubuntu6.06 given two things.
>
> Firstly it has longer term support. Secondly, I have problems with the
> wireless on it: it did not pick up either wireless connection when
> installed, trying to get the updates. After a wired update, one
> connection worked (Netgear relay) but the other has a default requiring
> encryption. I cannot get the Draytek to agree to WEP i.e., to save the
> changes I make.
>
> Ubuntu 6.06 worked first time, though it didn't show the icon for
> wireless spinning as it searched for a connection.

Bring it along James - if things are quiet, we could try to sort that out.

Mark