Re: [LUG] resume of plans and to do's for Penzance meetings

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 10:33 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

> We could show visitors Mint, although I'm not sure about newbies using
> Beta software.  There is always that risk that it could screw their PC
> up.
I must apologise but one of the team attending offered to show Mint. I
have destroyed the email by a mad click. Gone from all possible folders
including deleted items and junk! This reply is to him! Is this the
distro in this month's Linux Format? It doesn't say it is a beta as far
as I can see. There is also an Ark Linux 2007.1 which has an excellent
review. "Ark Linux is strongly geared towards Linux novices." Is this
worth showing - at least?

In the end, it will be down to us to make clear that there are several
options, and unless they have any special reason for choosing one over
another, we should be able to recommend what is best for the beginner.
We might also be willing to offer individual support with our choice for
them because we run it and are familiar with it.

What are members' thoughts on this one, nearer the day. I did wonder
about Ubuntu6.06 given two things.

Firstly it has longer term support. Secondly, I have problems with the
wireless on it: it did not pick up either wireless connection when
installed, trying to get the updates. After a wired update, one
connection worked (Netgear relay) but the other has a default requiring
encryption. I cannot get the Draytek to agree to WEP i.e., to save the
changes I make.

Ubuntu 6.06 worked first time, though it didn't show the icon for
wireless spinning as it searched for a connection.

> I've sent a quick e-mail to my contact at Westcountry.  She's a
> researcher on that Bite Back show which is the new ITV consumer show.
> If someone can some up with a news angle they may be interested.
I am almost ready with a press release, which you might pass on to her.

> I'll also try and get onto Edgey @ Atlantic.
... and him(?).

I will post later for all to see and peruse.
--
James Kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk