Re: [LUG] starthere page now preparation for the Penzance event

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:33:28 +0100
James Kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 16:43 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > If any more CD's are being done, please use the proper reference:
> > http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/StartHere
> > or create a suitable WIKI page yourself.
>
> I would appreciate it if details of the Penzance event were to appear on
> the web site in such a way that one url will tell people everything.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here - such a page can be created
by members to be viewed by everyone, using the wiki. The "Meetings"
pages are intentionally transient because they are highlighting
forthcoming events. You can use the PageCalendar to set up one of those
pages and you are also free to make a new page PenzanceEvents or
similar that can hold more long term data.

> At
> the moment the home page is really for members

If you want the StartHere wiki page to be a "newcomer" page, you are
free to do that as you wish. If you need images displayed, you can
either host them remotely and link from the wiki or send them to me for
hosting on DCGLUG.

> friendly. Maybe a bold advert on the home page near the top.

Once the StartHere page has some useful content and a suitable look, I
can add a section at the head of "Online Resources". i.e. make the
StartHere page into an "online resource" with useful data and I'll
update the homepage to match.

> Now I am not competent to do this and am likely to make a hash of it.

Nah. You can do it - just play around with the Notepad:
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/?id=Notepad
You can create any content there - whether it works or not - and then
copy the code into the proper page. Just ensure you empty the page once
you are done.

> Would a member kindly volunteer to liaise with me over it.

That sounds like a good idea - I probably won't have the time myself
though.

> I have a
> draft poster, which has gone to Stephen Rodda for a real graphics artist
> to develop and publish. Meanwhile, it has a link on it to the home page
> only. I have not put my telephone number on the poster but it should be
> on the details page,

Hmm, always think carefully before putting such data into the public
domain. Adding that to the Members Register is fine but that doesn't
really fit with what you want precisely because it is restricted.
Encourage people to email you first and then you can give them your
phone number.

Putting a phone number on a "transient" press release is one thing.
Putting on the internet where Google et al will index it for ever more
if quite different.

--

Neil Williams