Re: [LUG] PC World Response

On 15/09/2007, Jonathan Roberts <jonathan.roberts.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thought you might be interested in this response I had from PC World:
>
> [snip]
>
> Linux does not void manufacturer's warranty. If the machine is faulty,
> we might have to re-install the original operating system to confirm
> that it is a hardware fault. Software issues are not covered under
> manufacturer's warranty.
>
> [snip]
>
> Best,
>
> Jon
>
> --

I wrote them a stinky email to - here's the response:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email of 13 September 2007.

I can confirm that, despite what has been reported, the installation
of an alternative operating system will not invalidate a hardware
warranty. I can also confirm that no policy to the contrary has ever
existed within PC World.

Under some circumstances, where a reported issue may have a software
based cause, we may request that the original operating system is
re-installed prior to continuing with full diagnostics.

In the case of broken or damaged components, we would normally have
the product assessed by our engineers prior to making a decision on
the repair.

Yours faithfully

Scott Howley
PC World Customer Services