Re: [LUG] Debian GUI config tool

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:09:02 +0100
Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My dad has installed Debian and has a simple problem: he wants to change
> the bootloader config to increase the timeout and change the default.

$ apt-cache search grub conf
(or search in synaptic)

grubconf

There is one niggle with it - gtksu doesn't like it and it needs to be
run from a terminal with sudo or after editing the .desktop file. (Add
it to a gnome panel, right click and select Properties.) It's probably
worth checking if there is an existing bug about that and then
reporting it because the "real user experience" will help get this fixed.

(I'm assuming this is not a powerpc which doesn't use grub.)

> Now I would just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, but that's no good for my
> dad- he's supposed to be learning how to do these things himself. So
> where in the world is the config tool?

He's not going to be doing this particularly often so it's not a huge
problem.

> We could be using gnome or kde so need instructions for both.

Haven't tried grubconf in KDE - maybe the sudo thing will work better,
it'll just be the extra libraries.

> It's
> frustrating me because I would have done it by now, but I can't find
> anything to do the job "the user friendly way". I have a feeling debian
> has installed a bunch of shortcuts into gnome only- which is plain
> stupid. And I can't find it in gnome either because it has the most
> useless menu structure in the world.

grubconf is in Applications|System Tools IIRC but I'm currently using
the laptop (powerpc) so I can't check.

The Debian menu is currently in transition to rationalise the existing
structure - during the transition, various packages may look out of
place.

--

Neil Williams