[LUG] Debian GUI config tool

My dad has installed Debian and has a simple problem: he wants to change
the bootloader config to increase the timeout and change the default.
Now I would just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, but that's no good for my
dad- he's supposed to be learning how to do these things himself. So
where in the world is the config tool?

We could be using gnome or kde so need instructions for both. It's
frustrating me because I would have done it by now, but I can't find
anything to do the job "the user friendly way". I have a feeling debian
has installed a bunch of shortcuts into gnome only- which is plain
stupid. And I can't find it in gnome either because it has the most
useless menu structure in the world. I like KDEs config tool- it
actually works and makes sense- but it doesn't appear to have a
bootloader config section.

Sorry that's a bit of a rant (it's not the first time either).
Thanks for the help
Simon