Re: [LUG] AMD releases specs

On Thursday 13 September 2007 09:14, Rob Beard wrote:
> Ben Goodger wrote:
> > http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/
> >
> > I am never going to buy NVIDIA again.
> > Well, not until they release their specs also...
I belive Novell are working with them on some drivers - they may not release
the specs but I would imagine the drivers will be GPLed.
I find it strange that they wont release the specs - once you've released a
driver you've effectively given away the spec if in a slightly encrypted
form. For those that will be termed the competition they'll have the
technology to find the specs in a day or so of running a board on a test rig
so I cant see the point myself.
They may have a legitimate reason but I suspect their hardware is a lot more
capable than they say. ie they sell you a 'card' with a driver that produces
performance X and the same card with a different driver giving performance 2X
for a similar price increase.
You open the spec up and band goes your price ripoff.
You get Novell to sign an NDA and work with them on GLPed drivers without
releasing the spec and you will probably get a couple of months of ripping
people off before someone works out how to get the cheap version to work
faster.
This is called business.
Tom te tom te tom