Re: [LUG] Ubuntu install taking ages

Benjamin A'Lee wrote:

> I've seen a number of complaints from Debian Developers that
> modifications/bugfixes in Ubuntu never get sent back to Debian, or that
> they *do*, but the patches are so huge and unwieldy that it's impossible
> to work out what's useful and what's not. For example, several Ubuntu
> packages have a different build system to the Debian one, meaning the
> Debian maintainer has to dig through piles of cruft to get at the actual
> useful (or otherwise) changes.

However this is a regular complaint of free software (and even Open
Source) developers, it is hardly unique to Debian/Ubuntu. The last big
one I recall was Apple Webit and Khtml, but I'm fairly sure there was an
Emacs story of the same ilk from the early days.

The meat of bug fixes should go into the original software package, it
can do this without necessarily passing through Debian or the DBTS,
although that may be a good method of reporting bugs.

If the build system is substantially different, then it is unlikely
packaging changes in Ubuntu will be that interesting to Debian.

I'm not saying these complaints are unjustified, it is rare that human
activities are perfectly harmonious and coordinated. But there is also
no divine right of developers to be pushed modified versions of code
they look after, not even under the GPL.

You are welcome to propose it for a GNU GPL variant - must notify bug
fixes to this mailing list - but the FSF will properly regard it as an
infringement of the right to run and modify code without restriction.
Most GNU packages already have an address you can notify about bugs.

If it isn't worth the DDs time to see if they can sign-up and get
changes notified to them automatically, then they probably shouldn't
expect the Ubuntu developers to let them know "just in case" they are
interested.

Sure it seems a great deal of duplication happens between distros, and
this seems a great shame, but on the other hand it is also part of what
keeps things vibrant and fresh, and helps prevent software mono-cultures
with their associated security problems. Worry less, and just do what
you think is right.