Re: [LUG] Ubuntu install taking ages

On 11/09/2007, Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One thing I've been curious about for a while is why ubuntu has
different distro versions for different window managers/desktop
environments. What happened to being able to install several and choose
whichever one you wanted when logging in with xdm/kdm/gdm/whatever?

You _can_ do that.
People just need to get through their thick skulls that Ubuntu is Debian plus a load of crappy hacks, and a centimetre-thick layer of Canonical on top.

After this it becomes readily apparent that the "alternative" CD is just a slightly bastardised Debian installer, which was always perfectly good (and indeed was the only installer until Dapper inclusive), and that Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, .... .... are all the same operating system with different branding packages and default package installs. There are other obviousnesses with Ubuntu which people manage to avoid realising, but I have forgotten them momentarily.

--
Benjamin F. Goodger
~ design and ideas lab ~