Re: [LUG] OT - conspiracy theories - was facebook group

cated in the core."

On 9/1/07, Ralph Smithen <ralph_smithen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 19:06 +0100, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > Julian Hall wrote:
> > > I think Tom is referring to the specific construction methodology for
> > > the WTC which IIRC had a single solid spine up the middle.
> > That was not how they were built.
> Hi Adrian, where did you get that information from?
>
> >From Wikipedia:
[snip]

>>From the same page:
"The building's core housed the elevator and utility shafts,
restrooms, three stairwells, and other support spaces. The core in 1
WTC was oriented with the long axis east to west, while that of 2 WTC
was oriented north to south. The core of each tower was a rectangular
area 87 by 135 feet (27 by 41 m) and contained 47 steel columns
running from the bedrock to the top of the tower.[6] The columns
tapered with height, and consisted of welded box sections at lower
floors and rolled wide-flange sections at upper floors. All of the
elevators and stairwells were located in the core."

The core was hardly solid. The columns weren't even solid.

"The perimeter columns supported virtually all lateral loads, such as
wind loads, and shared the gravity loads with the core columns."

This tells us 2 things. Firstly the core didn't support the entire
weight of the building and that the only thing stopping the core
columns falling over is the presence of the rest of the building.
Chances are, the only structure connecting one column to the next
would have been the floor beams, so there's no more reason to expect
them to remain after the floors "pancaked" than you would expect the
perimeter columns to remain.

Now if I wanted to make people think that some terrorists flew a plane
into a building, I would get some guys to fly a plane into the
building (I bet it wouldn't be that hard to persuade a terrorist group
to do it for you for a couple of quid). Why bother to rig the building
for a controlled detonation?