[LUG] Laptop to internet

I have my desktop computer linked to the internet using a router. I have
the two linked by a cable. OK.

My wife has her own laptop running XP (I know, I am working on it) and
she links to the internet using WLAN. OK too, they both work well.

My wife may move her den upstairs in the near future, which will be
very close to the router. If she decides to change her setup so that
she too links her laptop to the router via a cable will there be any
problems?

And if she wants to sometimes use the wireless setup and sometimes use
the cable link will that work for her?

Any tips, comments etc gratefully received.

Neil Winchurst