Re: [LUG] Geocaching

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:48:10 +0100
John Horne <john.horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 14:50 +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 August 2007 08:43, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>

> > > I think some of the group are mixing up geocaching with sat-nav. I am
> > > not talking about using a GPS receiver while driving. It will be used
> > > to help me find a cache, the modern version of Dartmoor letter boxing.
> > Definitely cheating!
> > And dangerous - 30m out in fog could mean a cliff!
> >
> Or a peat-bog. Yuck! :-)
>
> Tried geocaching for a short while, but prefer letterboxing, or even
> just walking on the moors. Was not impressed with some of the cache
> locations, such a Leather Tor bridge (old stone bridge built in 1830's
> along part of the Abbots' Way), which it was said could be driven to
> with a 4x4. Totally irresponsible.
>
> John.
I know what you mean, but the same applied to letterboxing. Some of the
hints and directions were very bad and irresponsible. Having done
letterboxing for many years I would like to try something similar in
other areas. And around here in Devon there must be many beautiful
places that I have never found away from Dartmoor.

Neil