Re: [LUG] licenses for photos

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:51:10 +0100
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I take photos of Paignton rugby club games,  and put these on my
> website,  I would like to release them under a free license,  any
> suggestions as to which one allows them to be freely downloaded and re
> used in other ways but does not allow someone else to put copyright on
> them, (as they are my Interlectual property I guess).

Depends what you want people to be able to do to them.
:-)

You cannot stop someone else attaching their copyright to a modified
image and also use a free licence. Your copyright would be retained
(just as with source code) but anyone who has the freedom to modify the
image also has the right to attach their copyright in addition to
yours. You cannot remove that freedom whilst using a free licence. The
image cannot be re-licenced without your consent (it can migrate to
GPLv3 if you choose to use the phrase 'v2 or any later version' in your
own licence statement) but if you use a free licence you must allow
those who modify the image under that licence to have copyright over
their modifications and you must respect that copyright such that even
if you re-licence the original, you cannot force the modified version
to be re-licenced. Once free, always free.

If you are happy for people to modify them (e.g. cropping, sampling,
resizing, changing the format to PNG or BMP etc.) then the GPL would
work.

If you want control over how people change the photos (making them
non-free), you could consider a Creative Commons Licence.

A photo (at the file level) is just an arrangement of bytes - i.e. it
is a set of data that can be used to render an image - a piece of
software.

Probably doesn't apply to your photos but if the image (or any
component OF the image) could conceivably be useful in an icon or other
imagery within a program (maybe a splash screen) then the image needs
to be under the GPL. Creative Commons is not compatible with GPL
software - a CC image cannot be incorporated into a GPL package.

--

Neil Williams