Re: [LUG] Geocaching

On Saturday 25 August 2007 14:54, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > b) dangerous - lets walk off this cliff?
>
> Surely it's only dangerous if:
> a) you're stupid
> or
> b) youi're a lemming
I haven't been geocaching but I thought it was basically orienteering for the
chilled out intelligent litterer. However I used to fell/hill walk etc and
occasionally do orienteering when in the cadets at school - having hidden
beer in the forest we used to do it in...
What worries, nay scares me is using a gps you could get yourself into serious
trouble - its not gonna know about hazzards and will probably take you the
shortest route which could lead you into places you cant get out of - bogs
etc - or even get shot at by the military. You really NEED to do your route
planning before you set off.
Until we have 52 million Wainrights who note every footstep of the countryside
I would bother with one.
Anway - half the fun of walking the hills etc in british weather is the
planning  - you may as well do a marathon in a rickshaw!
Tom te tom te tom
PS road test any maps you print out - nothing more embarrassing than trying to
refer to a washed out sheet of toilet paper!