Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 10:30 +0100, grant@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Ah. so this problem only occurs when you attempt to append to an in use
> disk?
In use in the sense that I have just mounted it and want to open it and
add a file to test doing so.

> > appendable. When I used a cd writer in W98 it reopened the disc and
> > could write again. Is this not possible in my system?
>
> It seems not.  What you're doing is trying to create a second session.
> It seems that Winders, when you drag'n'drop, writes to the CDROM in a
> multi-session mode.  It also appears that when you drag'n'drop under
> Kubuntu, the session that is created is _not_ a multi-session one.
> Hence the inability to add data.
In Kubuntu, I cannot even open a blank disc, even thought the icon
appears. I get "malformed url". Mount does not appear in the menu on
right click. Open with K3b also "malformed url".

With a CD-RW it opens automatically and shows me the content. Opening
K3b and attempting to add another file, I get the messages
"could not retrieve multi-session from disk" and
"the disk is either empty or not appendable".

Debugging output (if that helps) is:

-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12.14

KDE Version: 3.5.2
QT Version:  3.3.6
Kernel:      2.6.15-28-386
Devices
-----------------------
PHILIPS CDRW/DVD SCB5265 TD17 (/dev/scd0, /dev/sg1) at /media/cdrom0
[CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO;
RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]

msinfo command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/X11/cdrecord.mmap dev=1,0,0 -msinfo

Mind you the first message is "unmounting disc"
the second is "searching previous session".
> Under K3B, one of the burning options is to "start a multisession disc" - and as
> long as you don't select the "finalise disc" option as well (which would be a bit
> daft as they should be pretty much mutually exclusive... sort of) then you should
> be able to write to the disc a second (and third, fourth, etc) time by selecting
> "continue multisession" on subsequent burn attempts.

I found and tried the start multi-session mode and it tells me it has no
permission to open the device and I may use K3bsetup2 to solve this
problem. I have reported on this before. Old permissions 660 root.cdrom
new permissions 666 root.cdrom.
> It's not quite as *ahem* "user friendly" as Window's assumption that all discs you
> create should be unfinalised, multisession capable discs that may not be readable
> by other drives... but then, we don't treat our users as idiots in Linuxland.

So, what should I say to my friend, apart from dual boot and burn cd's
with XP? It appears that the rules for burning cd's are pretty strict.
Maybe I should try this again with U 7.04 - I am working on my laptop,
to simulate her probable purchase of a Dell laptop. Remember the report
I emailed which said cdrecord was not guaranteed with my kernel. I have
examined bu reports and though some appear to be similar to mine, I have
no idea if they were applied to version 0.12.14 using kde 3.5.2.

Thanks for your efforts. I am still in the "idiot" class, with a
"burning" desire to learn.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk