Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

Posted by "Grant Sewell" <grant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:51:27 +0100
james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello james,

> cannot write as usual - permissions as usual. I can write to a blank
> disc, read from it, eject and reinsert it, open the folder, open the
> files, but not record for a second time - permissions problem. For a

Ah. so this problem only occurs when you attempt to append to an in use
disk?

> appendable. When I used a cd writer in W98 it reopened the disc and
> could write again. Is this not possible in my system?

It seems not.  What you're doing is trying to create a second session.
It seems that Winders, when you drag'n'drop, writes to the CDROM in a
multi-session mode.  It also appears that when you drag'n'drop under
Kubuntu, the session that is created is _not_ a multi-session one.
Hence the inability to add data.

The above is all a bit of guess work on my part;  I've never used
Windows, and always create CDs through K3b, rather than the desktop
because it gives me more control.

> > Ah, good.  Makes it easier, since we're singing from the same song
> > sheet.
> My idea is if I can get this to work for me, I can get it to work for
> her.

Almost certainly.

> > Path looks odd to me.  Here, /usr/bin/X11 is a link to itself.  Make
> > sure the cdrdao exists in that path.
> It is there.

Okay, not that then.  It's obviously just a difference in where Debian
& Kububtu put the relevant programs.

> I just put the whole section [External Programs] in.

Understood.  Just thought I'd mention it, "just in case".
------
Not only has does it seem that Windows would explicitly create multi-session CDs if
a user "dragged and dropped" new files onto the disc, but in order to do this it
would have had to make sure the CD had not been "finalised".

Under K3B, one of the burning options is to "start a multisession disc" - and as
long as you don't select the "finalise disc" option as well (which would be a bit
daft as they should be pretty much mutually exclusive... sort of) then you should be
able to write to the disc a second (and third, fourth, etc) time by selecting
"continue multisession" on subsequent burn attempts.

It's not quite as *ahem* "user friendly" as Window's assumption that all discs you
create should be unfinalised, multisession capable discs that may not be readable by
other drives... but then, we don't treat our users as idiots in Linuxland.

Hope this helps.
--Grant
--

Generated by the contributors page