Re: [LUG] Microsoft launches PC rebuilding scheme

Quoting Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Rob Beard wrote:
>> Looks like M$ have launched a scheme where old computers are redistributed.
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/17/microsoft_mar_pc_recycling/
>>
>> As I mention on the comments on the article, thats all well and good
>> but what happens when the software support ends (in 2008 for XP) as I
>> bet these machines won't run Vista whatsoever.
>
> "To ensure that the machines are useful to charities and schools, the
> programme requires that any donated machines have a minimum specification."
>
> So basically the scheme is just for people who don't know about
> formatting, as any PC's which meet the specification can't be that old.

But still probably wouldn't run Vista very well.  I mean XP struggles
on 256MB for anything useful.  We have a PC running XP & Office XP
(along with McAfee Anti-Virus) at our Plymouth Sound station.  It's
supposed to be running a presentation on a plasma TV.  Although it
looks good on the TV, it currently runs like a dead dog, hence us
getting some more memory.

On the other hand, I've sucessfully setup Ubuntu 7.04 running Audacity
for some simple audio recording/editing and it runs happily on 256MB
(same spec machine).

 From experience, any companies that I've worked at tend to upgrade
their PCs every 3 (or more) years.  I certainly wouldn't like to run
Vista on any of them.

Rob