Re: [LUG] Linux web cams - was exeter fun day

On Monday 13 August 2007 21:39, Rob Beard wrote:

> This link may help:
> http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Kopete%20Webcam%20Support&comzone=s
>how
>
> It gives links to webcam drivers which should give you some details of
> what is supported.  My webcam is a Chicony Twinklecam.  It's not great
> quality under Linux and it uses the SN9C10x driver.  Still it works
> which is something.

I was offline for a couple of days due to my server host deciding to change
the DNS servers and not bothering to let me know  - so I have now moved it
all over to my other server, hosted on a much better (Linux) based system.
Anyway, that meant I missed a few days mail and, although I did give the
archives a quick scan, I missed the webcam stuff.
I do quite a lot of messing with webcams - including the Chicony Twinklecam
mentioned by Rob. Most of my Twinklecams are converted to IR, but yes, they
work in Linux. On Kubuntu, they are simply plug and play - you need some sort
of software (Kopete, camorama, camstream or whatever) to see the pictures,
but the cameras are detected and as Rob says, they load the sn9c10x driver
which works.
On older Linux distros, they didn't always work - and you had to put a bit
more effort in. The sn9c drivers didn't work for me on older distros and I
had to mess around quite a bit. I did write a how-to on them at the time
which still exists if anyone needs it.

Another great cam is the Logitech Messenger. You need to be a little careful
which model you buy - not all work I suspect. I bought a couple from Ebuyer
which were mentioned on this list a while back - dirt cheap and work fine -
again, plug in and away they went. The older Logitech Messenger was a bit
more hassle - but I did get that working too and again, there is a how-to
available if anyone needs it.

The PCL-300k doesn't work - I have tried that as well!

Mark