Re: [LUG] Off-topic: Astronomy

On Thursday 09 August 2007 01:22, Terry Hill wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My apols for not posting for ages, and then when I do it's off-topic...
>
> I just wondered if there were any other astronomers in the LUG?
> Having recently got my grubby hands on a nice Celestron "goto"
> Newtonian, I'm thinking about organising a small star party, as I have
> access to a nice dark-sky site with basic facilities.  Either way, it
> would be nice to expand my circle of astro-nuts (sounds painful!).
>
> Hmm how to get back on-topic...ahh yes, XEphem from the clear sky
> institute is a breeze to compile under Ubuntu - highly recommend it
> too.  Great for tracking objects like satellites and comets.
>
> It lives here: http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/
>
> For a straightforward map of the night sky, stellarium can't be beaten
> for ease of use and looks very professionally built:
> http://www.stellarium.org/ - again, runs under Ubuntu nicely and is
> easy to get up and running.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Tel.

I love the subject, but I am very much an outsider on it. My experiences are
limited to taking a few shots with a cobbled together telescope/digicam of
the moon and a similar experiment with Jupiter. I watch the arrivals of
various planets and the ISS etc - and love to know what is going on up there.
Bit I am not any sort of expert.

Mark