Re: [LUG] Scanner recommendations

Dear Brad,
For what it is worth I bought the 3-in1 HP Photosmart C3180 a few weeks ago for £39.99  and I am delighted.
In PCLinuxOS  it was picked up immediately  and it works  well - I have HP Printer Toolbox which allows me to maintain the printer AND scanner  parts. Not top-of-the-range, but have a look!
Cheers,
Christopher.

Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello All,

Like the subject says, I'm after recommendations for an A4 scanner.
I've looked at the SANE project web site for ideas, but as most of the
models listed with "complete" support are no longer manufactured, I'm
at a bit of a loss, so I'm turning to the list for help. I'd be
grateful for any recommendations of current machines that others have
had good results with.

The scanner won't be subject to heavy use (probably one or two scans a
month) and ideally, I'd avoid Canon because all the kit I've every
bought from them has packed up in less than two years. Budgetary
constraints mean a spend of less than £50, and I'd prefer new to s/h
(yeah I know; I want jam on it).

Parallel port connection isn't an option, as the parallel port is in
use. I have no SCSI card, which leaves me with USB. Hardly a problem
these days, given that parallel/SCSI connections, if available, seem to
only come on machines out of my price range anyway. USB 1.x/2.0, it
doesn't matter to me.

The machine the scanner is going to be connected to is running Debian
Testing.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is