Re: [LUG] Help on Installation and Installation Guide

Mark Jose wrote:
> On Sunday 05 August 2007 13:51, Rob Beard wrote:
>> Rob Beard wrote:
>>> One thought which springs to mind is creating a custom live Ubuntu CD.
>>> There is a package called reconstructor which allows you to make a
>>> custom live CD.  Although I haven't had a play with it yet it may do the
>>> job.  It does require the Ubuntu 7.04 Alternative ISO to be available
>>> though.
>>>
>>> Rob
>> Just trying to build a live CD now, looks like you need a copy of the
>> live CD too.
>>
>> Rob
>
> Yep, thats the usual case with these rebuilds. The standard Ubuntu disk is a
> live cd, so if you have one handy, you can use that.
> I shall be giving it a bash later today - we can compare our results and pool
> ideas. It may be interesting to look at perhaps a live LUG cd at some point -
> the only problem will be choosing a distro I suspect. As Dave says, there is
> a similar thing for Fedora, one for Slackware (Slax) and most other distros
> which have a live cd can be rebuilt fairly easily.
> I also play around with Linux on a USB key too. I have a Kubuntu live cd
> installed onto a 1gb usb key which can save setting changes for me - quite
> useful. I set up my wireless wpa stuff on it and it works fine. It even
> allows me to add/remove apps if I want to. Thinking about it, perhaps the
> same sort of technique may allow the creation of something similar on a cd/rw
> disk...  (adds idea to backlog of things to do!)
>
> Mark

Well I've had a play with it, took about 3 attempts as it wouldn't
actually create an ISO at the end of it.  I ended up using the default
name for the ISO and made sure I had plenty of disk space free.

The finished custom Live CD seems to work ok.  I was able to remove
things like OpenOffice, Evolution and other stuff which I figured
wouldn't be required for a recovery CD.

Now if I could only work out how to remove menu items for the things I
have manually deleted, and add icons to the desktop I would be more than
happy :-)

I think I'll leave that for another day.

Rob