Re: [LUG] Help on Installation and Installation Guide

peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> As this group is aware I am a keen railway modeller.  I use JMRI to
> control the layout.  Unfortunately it is quite a long job getting the
> system running under GNU/Linux.
>
> To that end I have written a draft instruction, which can be found here:
>
> http://jmri.sourceforge.net/install/Ubuntu.shtml
>
> (I have received a couple of very gratifying thank yous - which I should
> pass on for the help I have received here).
>
> In the first paragraph I try and sell Linux in general and Ubuntu (and
> Debian) in particular.  Any advice on this first para would be
> appreciated.  Indeed any advice on any part would not go amiss.
>
> My long term aim is to work out a way to do this automatically.  Perhaps
> not even using Ubuntu.  I suppose one would finally put something in a
> repository.
>
> Any advice gratefully received.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Peter

One thought which springs to mind is creating a custom live Ubuntu CD.
There is a package called reconstructor which allows you to make a
custom live CD.  Although I haven't had a play with it yet it may do the
job.  It does require the Ubuntu 7.04 Alternative ISO to be available
though.

Rob