Re: [LUG] nice looking Access type application for linux ( and others )

On Thursday 02 August 2007 17:32, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
> Mark Jose wrote:
> > I used Kexi a few weeks back to see if it would be able to take a csv
> > file I was sent and convert it into a database for the purpose of
> > creating a simple MySQL powered search page for the data.
> > It was actually quite user friendly - the first database program in Linux
> > I have actually found useful - but I admit I have no database skills at
> > all! I suspect you will be able to do a lot more than I could with it
> > Aaron! The search page itself took more time to set up (my php skills
> > suck too it seems!) than creating the database itself. Kexi imported the
> > csv file and the resulting file could be used in MySQL without further
> > problems.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Access to MySQL another possiblity ??
>
> Dave

I don't use Microsoft stuff, so I have no idea how well that works. I maintain
a small genealogy site for someone in Australia and was testing out the
possibility of incorporating some sort of searchable database - purely for
the mental exercise, but possibly for incorporating into the site if/when I
move it from the Windows hosting it currently resides on to my main site,
which is hosted on Linux and has full support for everything I need. Kexi was
ideal for converting the csv file - at least for me as I am not really
familiar with such stuff.
I recall looking at Access many years ago (Office 97 or something I think)
running on a Win98 box but I left Windows during the Win98 period. I would
imagine Access is an excellent choice for those with WIndows - I know that
MySQL etc work in Windows (WAMPP ? ).
I dare say that Office (and thus Access) work fine under Wine or CrossOver
office for those who have an Office licence and fancy giving it a go.

Mark