Re: [LUG] USB memory stick

Simon Williams wrote:
> Matthew Fairtlough wrote:
>
>> same error message: Cannot mount volume (mount point cannot contain
>> newline (??) or G_DIR_SEPARATOR (/) characters).
>>
>> I can find no way of changing the mount point without
>> mounting the thing (which I obviously can't do).
>>

> Yes you can.

thanks; below is a bit of a brain dump (it is 3:20 am and I'm in
sleepless mode, after all) about how I did it:
> As root:
>
> mount -t auto [device] /mnt/tmp
>
> where device is probably /dev/sda1- since you are undoubtedly using
> udev, look at the list of device nodes in /dev - with udev only the ones
> that are connected will be present.

I've only just installed Ubuntu and it does seem I'm running udev
matthew@fujitsu-ubuntu:~$ mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

However there are 703 devices listed in /dev and that seems like rather
a lot...
matthew@fujitsu-ubuntu:~/Desktop$ ls /dev | wc
    703     703    4365
matthew@fujitsu-ubuntu:~/Desktop$
my first problem is indeed identifying which device corresponds to my
usb stick; I've discovered it isn't one such as
usbdev5.2_ep00
but as for sda etc, I've only one drive and my linux is installed on
sda3 so the usb stick can't be there.  But bingo! I've found it on sdb1:
matthew@fujitsu-ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/intenso
Password:
matthew@fujitsu-ubuntu:~$ ls /media/intenso
2007 07 10 Jubileum  Connecting to VPN at Plymouth.doc  iTunes
so that is great; but I don't really want to have to do this whenever I
put the stick in; but at least I can thanks to your suggestions get the
volume mounted (and when I do, it is called INTENSO as it always was, so
I don't think the volume name has been changed).
> The problem is that you are using the gui with an automounter (and
> probably HAL), and that is automatically trying to mount it under
> something like /media/[name of volume], and since the name of the volume
> contains a character which isn't allowed in a folder name, the
> automounter fails.

HAL was a good clue and I'd be interested how it communicates with the
automounter and where the device/mount information might be kept (I'm
not at all sure it is using the volume label on the stick to determine
the device name)

matthew@fujitsu-ubuntu:~$ lshal | grep Ut163
  scsi.vendor = 'Ut163'  (string)
udi =
'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_Ut163_USB2FlashStorage_000000000000EA_0_0'
  block.storage_device =
'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_Ut163_USB2FlashStorage_000000000000EA_0_0'

(string)
  info.udi =
'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_Ut163_USB2FlashStorage_000000000000EA_0_0'

(string)
  info.vendor = 'Ut163'  (string)
  storage.serial = 'Ut163_USB2FlashStorage_000000000000EA-0:0'  (string)
  storage.vendor = 'Ut163'  (string)
  block.storage_device =
'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_Ut163_USB2FlashStorage_000000000000EA_0_0'

(string)
  info.parent =
'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_Ut163_USB2FlashStorage_000000000000EA_0_0'

(string)

> A format will probably fix it, but there are other ways of changing the
> volume label.

If you could suggest some, I'd be grateful!  especially since I don't
really want to reformat the device.

Thanks very much Simon, and to anyone else who has (or will?:-) respond.

Matthew.