Re: [LUG] Debian Lenny Exim4 update problem

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:11:53 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:52:30 +0100
> Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Neil,
>
> > Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > .deb packages are just tar/gzip archives, so you'll have all the
> > > relevant tools available to rip out the .conf file.
> > True, but it isn't intuitive and you have to unpack the tar.gz AND
>
> Hey, I never said it was easy.   :-)
>
> I suppose you could say I'm a "teach someone to fish" man, rather than
> a "give him a fish" type;  If you give someone a fish, you've given
> them a meal.  If you teach them to fish, they can feed themselves for
> the rest of their lives.  Not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea,
> I'm sure.

And after years of having to get out the fishing rod for every $£&*
meal, I got fed up and invented a tool to do the entire job for me -
a fishing boat with really big nets. It's only natural.

After all, long ago people were taught how to raise a fire and use it
to drive a mammoth off a cliff. Today, people are taught how to use
money to reward someone else for killing an animal for us to buy in
some shrink-wrap, or even better ready cooked with chilli sauce and
lettuce at 3am (that is if kebabs can ever be termed animal-products!)

;-)

We still need people who know how to raise a fire without matches, just
like we still need articles on places like DebianAdmin to show the low
level method. After all, it would be a real pain to have to copy a .deb
from a remote buildd back onto your box to use deb-gview when you are
already logged into the remote buildd.

I'm all for command line tools and bespoke scripting but sometimes you
end up doing the same task so many darn times that it starts to grate.

How many here are using command-line email clients? Mutt is excellent,
I know, but it is virtually the only usable command-line email client.
We need both.

--

Neil Williams