Re: [LUG] teaching computer games as GSCE

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Ok personal opinions on the daily mail aside,   this sounds Like an
> ideal opportunity to get OSS into schools,  how better to learn how
> somthing works than look at the actual source code, and notes written by
> the people who wrote the software.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470671&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments
>
> In addition with all the development tools available freely under the
> gpl,  there could be a real opportunity here,  if exploited correctly
>
> It may be dumbing down,  but if taught properly, it could end up at the
> other end of the scale,

I doubt it will ever come to anything useful. This is what they are
doing with a lot of subjects- changing them to learning about a subject,
as opposed to learning how to actually do something in that subject.

It's annoyed me for years that programming is not taught in schools at
all- even in A level 'computing' (as opposed to 'IT') there is only a
very small amount of visual basic and some computer science theory- the
rest of it is all access databases. I had to wait until university to
learn programming.