Re: [LUG] php on linux, apache and getting odbc to work

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 12:28, Neil Stone wrote:
> > Neil Williams wrote:

> >> Shouldn't have to compile it.
> >>
> >> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/php5-odbc
> >
> > I am Matthew's colleague, and although I am off sick
> > today, I can describe in more detail what we have been
> > trying to do.
> >
> > We inherited a bespoke intranet system set up by a
> > previous programmer that is based on php running on
> > Apache on a windows server. The database backend is
> > Oracle running on redhat linux.
> >
> > In a few places we also connect to a mysql database
> > and in a few other places a couple of mssql databases
> > via odbc.
> >
> > We have found however that the windows version of apache
> > and oracle don't talk to each other brilliantly and
> > hold connections open.  Because of this Matthew has set
> > up a test copy the intranet system on the redhat server
> > and it works in all respects except the odbc connection.
> >
> > If we can get it working completely we can convert
> > one of the other servers over to linux to use as the
> > new webserver.
> >
> > So far we installed unixODBC and freeTDS, and got the
> > odbc link working from the command line.  We just need
> > to make that link available to the php.
> >
> > If Matthew has made more progress with this I wouldn't
> > know because I have been off sick that last couple of
> > days. :)
>
> Reading and replying to business related email while off sick ?? Sounds
> like me..
That sound really sick to me - I thought the idea was to ignore work emails
full stop!

Just one point - there should be 'proper' database connectors for each of the
above mentioned databases which should provide better control and
significantly improved speed.
Tom te tom te tom