Re: [LUG] php on linux, apache and getting odbc to work

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:47:23 +0100
> matthewfurborough@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I am trying to get php to talk to an odbc link on Linux but can't find odbc.so to
>> put in the ext directory - have you any idea where I compile this from?
>
> Shouldn't have to compile it.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/php5-odbc

I am Matthew's colleague, and although I am off sick
today, I can describe in more detail what we have been
trying to do.

We inherited a bespoke intranet system set up by a
previous programmer that is based on php running on
Apache on a windows server. The database backend is
Oracle running on redhat linux.

In a few places we also connect to a mysql database
and in a few other places a couple of mssql databases
via odbc.

We have found however that the windows version of apache
and oracle don't talk to each other brilliantly and
hold connections open.  Because of this Matthew has set
up a test copy the intranet system on the redhat server
and it works in all respects except the odbc connection.

If we can get it working completely we can convert
one of the other servers over to linux to use as the
new webserver.

So far we installed unixODBC and freeTDS, and got the
odbc link working from the command line.  We just need
to make that link available to the php.

If Matthew has made more progress with this I wouldn't
know because I have been off sick that last couple of
days. :)

Anton