Re: [LUG] is this us?

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:20:23 +0100
Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > So, no, I don't think the article reflects this group. How many
> > meetings have we had where no-one at the meeting had a laptop or other
> > device running GNU/Linux? A healthy group does include discussions of
> > real life as well as geek life.
>
> I think another thing that the article missed is that most problems are
> fixed and most technical discussions happen on the mailing list- for
> obvious reasons.

Other LUGs probably do fix more things at meetings - it is the
geography of our area that makes this hard. Lugging a PC from Penzance
to Paignton isn't fun.
:-)

We have had very technical meetings where everyone had access to at
least one machine already running GNU/Linux and a few available for new
installs. Even without internet access, we usually end up with several
laptops and associated gadgets running off an overworked 13amp socket.
(OK, it wasn't a LUG but at DebConf we had so many laptops and gadgets
that we kept blowing the electrics! It is surprising how much power 400
laptops need!)

--

Neil Williams