Re: [LUG] Partition compressor and Kubuntu 'upgrade'

Quoting Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Does anyone know a FLOSS partition compressor  so I can squeeze a partition
> and then make a new one with the new space.
>
> And has anyone tried using Kubuntu as an upgrade to another Linux version?
> I've got a 64 bit Suse 10.1 with a lot setup on it and I'm sort of
> toying with
> the idea of just 'upgrading' it to Kubuntu.
>
> Tom te tom te tom

You could try the Gnome Partition Editor.  They have a live bootable
CD on their web site which you can download.  It can resize Ext2,
Ext3, Fat16/32, NTFS, Reiser (although not Reiser4).  Should cover
you.  Can't remember what the default filesystem is for Suse, I can't
help but think it's ReiserFS rather than EXT3 for some reason
(although I could be completely wrong).

With regards to installing Kubuntu over SUSE, I wouldn't do it myself.
  I think you'd be better off just copying the Home directory over and
if the permissions aren't right just change the owner.

Rob