Re: [LUG] Kubuntu 7.04 Woes

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 14:43, john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I am generally happy to use Kubuntu 7.04 for Internet browsing and
> email,using Kmail,Thunderbird,Konqueror and Firefox. All works well with my
> ADSL router.

Good :)

> However I am confused about filing in general, transfers with
> an USB memory stick or external HDD and the complicated directories. Why
> ever it was found necessary to name the partitions and drives in a
> different manner to Windows also eludes me. The various books on Ubuntu and
> Kubuntu spend a lot of time telling about how they came about and how to
> install the OS. They all seem to skip the important part namely how to save
> and retrieve files. My other concern is that many Windows programmes that I
> use regularly do neither run under Kubuntu nor do they seem to have
> equivalent programmes into which I can transfer existing files. One thing I
> would greatly like is a one day course covering the basics but excluding
> installing the OS.The manuals/books go into too many details rather than
> how to do simple tasks. If any of you can recommend a simple guide I would
> be most grateful as I am getting close to giving up on Linux in the form of
> Kubuntu. It is all just too complicated and difficult to comprehend and
> remember.
>
> John
> --

Hi John!
As you are using Kubuntu, you may find the FullCircle magazine useful. It is a
free mag, in pdf format, which is designed for the Ubuntu family and aimed at
explaining things in a way which newer users will find helpful.
In the issue 1 edition, there was a good simple explanation of the directory
structure of Linux - which tells you what the various oddly named folders
(e.g /opt, /root, /etc and others) actually are for.
You can download any of the releases of the mag from -
http://www.fullcirclemagazine.com/
I found them quite interesting and the editor, Ronnie, is very approachable if
you would like something specific including in a later version.

You mention Windows programs which do not work under Linux. Of course, they
are two differing operating systems, although it is possible to run many
Windows programs via Wine - if you need a hand with that, drop me a line and
I am happy to walk through it with you. A better solution perhaps, is to
install Windows into a virtual machine running on Kubuntu (or, if you
prefer,install Kubuntu on a VM running on Windows!)
That way, unless you need 3d acceleration, you can run all your programs! You
will need a licence if you intend to install Windows under Linux, but, if you
already have Windows installed, you can install Linux freely in a VM.

It can be hard to get to grips with Linux at first - especially if you are
trying to do "complex" things. If you stick with the basic, pre-installed
programs, then things should be fine. It starts to get a little harder once
you start trying to get the system to do stuff which needs a deeper
understanding of the system - e.g running Wine can need tweaks sometimes
which are not hard, but may seem confusing if you are not familiar with it.
Windows only seems easy because you are used to it. I find XP very confusing -
I had to work in the XP environment for a course I was doing recently, and I
was struggling to do things!

I am more than happy to volunteer to "mentor" you if it will help John -
an "on tap" assistant if you like :)
Not that I claim to be an expert, but I do use Kubuntu 7.04 myself and have a
few years of Linux useage under my belt.

Cheers,
Mark