From: "john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, 10 July, 2007 2:43:31 PM
Subject: [LUG] Kubuntu 7.04 Woes

Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am generally happy to use Kubuntu 7.04 for Internet browsing and email,using Kmail,Thunderbird,Konqueror and Firefox. All works well with my ADSL router.
However I am confused about filing in general, transfers with an USB memory stick or external HDD and the complicated directories.
Why ever it was found necessary to name the partitions and drives in a different manner to Windows also eludes me.
The various books on Ubuntu and Kubuntu spend a lot of time telling about how they came about and how to install the OS. They all seem to skip the important part namely how to save and retrieve files.
My other concern is that many Windows programmes that I use regularly do neither run under Kubuntu nor do they seem to have equivalent programmes into which I can transfer existing files.
One thing I would greatly like is a one day course covering the basics but excluding installing the OS.The manuals/books go into too many details rather than how to do simple tasks.
If any of you can recommend a simple guide I would be most grateful as I am getting close to giving up on Linux in the form of Kubuntu. It is all just too complicated and difficult to comprehend and remember.

John
--

Generated by the contributors page
in the members area at D+C GLUG