[LUG] IBM Omni driver being arse

Hello

I have just dug out an Okidata Microline 391 dot-matrix printer, which as far as I can see is supported only by the IBM Omni print driver. Unfortunately, this driver does not exist in Debian's repositories. Indeed, it doesn't even build properly on my system.

The CUPS documentation instructs me (having run ./configure, make and make install) that "the CUPSToOmni filter interface should be build as part of the Omni build but if it is not, go to the directory where Omni is installed and then to Omni/CUPS and run make. This will build the filter. Move the filter to the CUPS installed directory, typical install is /usr/lib/cups/filter." It was not built, and running make in this directory returns "no makefiles found". LS output is below[1]. However, I found an RPM for Mandrake from 2004, which contains this binary, so I moved that to /usr/lib/cups/filter.

The next instruction is "creating a .ppd file". "This is done by running the GenerateOmniPPDs program. This also resides in the Omni/CUPS directory. This step assumes that Omni is properly installed or the driver files used by Omni are in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The syntax for this is: GenerateOmniPPDs Omni_DeviceDriver_Name > Omni_DeviceDriver_Name.ppd" Again, the binary was not built and is nowhere to be found. Running the binary in the RPM returns [2]. It attempts to load "libOmni_DeviceDriver_Name.so" from /usr/lib/Omni, where there is no particular file referring to my printer (instead, only the files listed in [3].)

At this point, I am just about ready to give up. Can anyone help at all?

--
Ben Goodger

B.F. Goodger, Age 16½