Re: [LUG] What should I go for?

jody salt wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
>   I'm finally going to go completely Linux! I'm going to be converting both my
> laptop and desktop PC.
>
>   So basically I was wondering what distro to go for. Should it be Ubuntu or
> Fedora?
>
>   I would have gone for Fedora 7 straight away but the download sections doesn't
> have CD Images available, and I don't have a DVD Writer. I guese could go for an
> older version (Fedora 6 has CD's) what do you think? Is it wise to go for an older
> version?

Never used ubuntu, so I can't comment on that.  However, I installed F7
on my desktop a few days ago and for the most part I'm very happy with
it.  The one problem I've had are that both Thunderbird and Firefox
(both v2) seem a bit unstable after they've been running for hours.
It's entirely possible that's down to the way I use them, I guess.  I
also read that F7 was supposed to have a lot of development done on the
wireless code, but it doesn't appear to work with the chipset on my
laptop.  I've not had time to look into that.

If you're considering FC6, I'd probably say go with something like
CentOS 5 instead -- they're largely similar, but CentOS will be
supported for some years to come whereas FC6 won't.

James