Re: [LUG] What should I go for?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:10:52 +0100 (BST)
jody salt <jody_leigh_salt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
>   I'm finally going to go completely Linux! I'm going to be converting both my
> laptop and desktop PC.
>
>   So basically I was wondering what distro to go for. Should it be Ubuntu or
> Fedora?
>
>   I would have gone for Fedora 7 straight away but the download sections doesn't
> have CD Images available, and I don't have a DVD Writer. I guese could go for an
> older version (Fedora 6 has CD's) what do you think? Is it wise to go for an older
> version?
>
>   As a server I've always used Redhat/Fedora and never really tried anything else
> apart from slackware linux (the first linux I tried).
>
>   My other option is try out a different distro - I've been thinking about Ubuntu
> linux. Does the desktop version come with all the standard servers. Or does server
> edition come with an Xwindows system? I basically want a system with everything on
> it (Like Fedora).
>
>   Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
>   I'm 100% commited to the Linux to the route. So if you help me out by the
> weekend there will two less windows machines running!
>
>   Cheers
>
>   Jody
I have been using Linux only for 6 years now. I started with the RPM
type distros, Suse and then Mandrake/Mandriva. Last year I moved to
kubuntu and have never regretted it. I plan to stay with Kubuntu
permanently.

I chose kubuntu over ubuntu because I prefer KDE over Gnome. You can
have both desktops available if you wish. If you do choose one of the
ubuntu distros, there is a very good user group.

Good luck

Neil Winchurst