Re: [LUG] What should I go for?

jody salt wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm finally going to go completely Linux! I'm going to be converting
> both my laptop and desktop PC.
>
> So basically I was wondering what distro to go for. Should it be Ubuntu
> or Fedora?

Hmm, I use Ubuntu (6.10 on my desktop and 7.04 on my laptop) and I get
on better with .deb based distributions (Debian, Ubuntu) over .rpm based
distributions.  Might be because that's what I'm used to.

Ideally I would say try and get hold of a live CD for both and have a
play and see what you think.

> I would have gone for Fedora 7 straight away but the download sections
> doesn't have CD Images available, and I don't have a DVD Writer. I guese
> could go for an older version (Fedora 6 has CD's) what do you think? Is
> it wise to go for an older version?

I'd say it depends on how old your hardware is.  Someone feel free to
correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware Fedora don't have a
'long term support' version of their distro as this is the purpose of
Redhat Enterprise Linux (and it's re-compiled versions like CentOS).

The latest issue of Linux Format has Fedora 7 on the cover DVD.  It
should be out any day now if it isn't already in the shops (I'm a
subscriber).  Other than that I'm sure there is someone likely to be
near you who could burn off a couple of DVDs.  Where abouts are you based?

> As a server I've always used Redhat/Fedora and never really tried
> anything else apart from slackware linux (the first linux I tried).

Ahh then you may get on better with Fedora if you're already used to it.

> My other option is try out a different distro - I've been thinking about
> Ubuntu linux. Does the desktop version come with all the standard
> servers. Or does server edition come with an Xwindows system? I
> basically want a system with everything on it (Like Fedora).

The Desktop version of Ubuntu comes with X.Org and Gnome.  Kubuntu comes
with KDE and Xubuntu comes with XFCE4.  You can switch between the
different versions by installing the meta packages (ubuntu-desktop,
kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop or edubuntu-desktop).

There is a decent amount of software included and anything else is just
a couple of clicks away (or an apt-get from the console away).

The server version doesn't come with X as standard but you can install X
on top of the server installation - I have done this on a server I use
at work so I can connect in using FreeNX.

> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

See above :-)

> I'm 100% commited to the Linux to the route. So if you help me out by
> the weekend there will two less windows machines running!

If you're local to me I'd be happy to pass along a DVD (although it'll
have to be scribbled on as my printer won't print at the moment).

Rob