Re: [LUG] Erasing HDD

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 13:14 +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> Mark Jose wrote:
> > I back up my personal data in the home directory
> > and install the new version freshly - then put the backed up data back.
> Alternatively mount / and /home on separate partitions.  That way even
> if the whole OS goes down the swannee your personal data is safe.

I am in the process of transferring stuff from one old computer to a new
one with a different distro. I would have liked to set up a /home
partition, but found the setup steps difficult to interpret as there
seemed to be a jump in expertise needed to do this. Is there a way I can
do this now having installed Ubuntu 7.04 before I put my backed up stuff
from SuSE 10.0 on the new one? QTParted is installed and I have taken a
look in it.

It would be nice to take my evolution data as well as I have backed
up .evolution as being in /home/james/. If I can do this, should I
install evolution and copy the relevant files over? I also want to try
Thunderbird and would like to import the database of addresses and the
saved emails, though I can always keep the old computer available to dig
out any I actually need.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk