Re: [LUG] Erasing HDD

On Sunday 24 June 2007 14:15, Neil Stone wrote:
> Julian Hall wrote:
> > Mark Jose wrote:
> >> I never ever upgrade from one version to the next - whatever is claimed
> >> about the reliability of doing so. I back up my personal data in the
> >> home directory and install the new version freshly - then put the backed
> >> up data back.
> >
> > Alternatively mount / and /home on separate partitions.  That way even
> > if the whole OS goes down the swannee your personal data is safe.
> >
> > Your only risk then is if the hard disk itself develops a fault -
> > nothing anyone can do about that.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Julian
>
> RAID anyone ?? or /home on a different disk...???
>
> --

Indeed, but most users probably don't have a raid setup or a spare drive for
their /home partition in my experience.Those with a laptop are even less
likely to have such luxuries (can you even get laptops with second HDDs?).
I do have spare drives in my box, but prefer to use those for other things, so
I backup /home to my NAS box.
If you have spare drives, then a seperate /home partition on a second drive is
useful - although a backup elsewhere is good insurance in the event of a disk
failure.
A sensible backup policy is a much overlooked item, yet one which can save the
day in the event of serious problems with hardware etc. I am as guilty as the
next - I do make backups, but they tend to be quite "as and when". I always
do a backup before major changes - or if I have some new vital data I really
must not lose, but otherwise it is very ad-hoc!

Mark