Re: [LUG] linux ocr's compared

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 23:33, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 6/16/07, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > http://groundstate.ca/ocr
>
> Well, that's cleared my misconception... I was under the impression that
> OCR in linux, much like speech recognition, was utter shite.
> Roll on GNOME's integral scanning wotsit in 2.20 (afaik).
Theres a few things in linux that seem like utter M$ - I've spent hours
playing with sound cards and music apps and going backwards and then you bump
into the one person or doc that gets you over some hurdle and whoosh........
All I need now is a physical desktop tidier so I can actually have somewhere
to put a scanner that doesnt push itself or the monitor or a pile of sorted
receipts onto the floor - sorry too tight to buy a new one!
I've not used decent speech recognition on linux but I learned to speak in the
US as a child and found that using a 'genuine' yank accent gave me much
better results than my normal voice but gave me imperial designs....
Tom te tom te tom