Re: [LUG] Amusing

Tom Potts wrote:

> Type in Linux into Google.
> Who comes up first - and how much work have they done to support it?

www.linux.org

They have about a quarter of a million pages of information on Linux,
all the stuff I tried is freely available for download.

Next Debian.org, then Wikipedia, then Ubuntu.com -- damn - logs out of
Google, tries again "linux.org" is still number 1, Debian just dropped 6
places, personalised search - amazing stuff.

> I don't know how Google's system is weighted but I bet money talks in there
> somewhere.

I think it is mostly people gaming Google, when you see odd results. I
don't think Google need to take money for the search placings, they get
that for the ads placement, and even some of our smaller clients are
paying them serious money each week.

Go listen to SEO rockstars. See how people game their search results,
discover how much of the social networking sphere is full of fake
accounts, and why wikipedia was spammed so much etc etc.

I fully agree there was some jiggery pokery around the Expert Exchange
stuff, but I'm prepared to believe it was because the people doing it
were good at gaming Google, rather than paying Google money.